Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Culled From Mata's Blog

I’m back here again! It’s been a long time since my last post! A time full of emotions, and moments of resting as well; I hope it was the same for you. It’s been an intense summer between tournaments and holidays, so let’s go little by little…
I finished last season winning the Europa League, my third trophy with Chelsea, and saying thanks for your support throughout all those months. Without you, the final outcome would have been completely different.

While packing my bags to spend my holidays in Spain, I was having this feeling of pride for everything achieved with the club last season (a new European title, our ticket to the Champions League, and feeling the love of fans and teammates who awarded me Player of the Year for the second consecutive season), but I was also full of excitement ahead of the Confederations Cup. I was counting down the days to start playing with Spain in Brazil.
As you all know, it was the host country the one who lifted the trophy in the end, but personally it was a very enriching experience in many ways: getting to know a country like Brazil, so passionate about football; having the chance to play in such a legendary stadium as Maracana; having first-hand experience of what lays ahead in the World Cup; and, of course, keep being part of a fantastic group of people that remains strong in the ups and downs. What matters now is to learn and to get our ticket to the World Cup. We are close, but we have to seal it in the last few games of our group.
Once the Confederations Cup finished, and after a long and intense season with more than 70 matches, it was time to rest… To be honest, I can’t remember the last time I had had a four-week break; it felt as if my body didn’t know how to stop! But of course it’s nice to be on holidays.
I spent time at home with my family, but I also travelled and discovered different places and cultures. I love travelling. It’s true that we travel a lot throughout the year, however we have no time to visit those places, always moving between hotels, stadiums and airports… That’s why I love travelling with plenty of time, and being able to know the places better, to learn, to enjoy. Little by little I am visiting countries that are on my to-do list, yet there are still many I would love to go to, like Australia, Thailand or India. Please send me your tips about these or other countries! I’m sure you will help me to plan my next holidays ;-)

As usual, time flies when you are on holidays and soon I was packing again to go back to London. It was the start of the pre-season, although a bit different for those who had played the Confederations Cup. We joined the team at a later stage, and we flew to the US, where we were training and playing a friendly tournament, a common practice in pre-season. After a few days and a couple of games I felt a bit of pain on my quadriceps and I had to slow down. It was something new for me because I had never had these kind of problems, but I kept calm; it was (it is) still the beginning of the season. That’s why the first weeks of training were a bit tricky for me.
At present I’m feeling better, looking forward to enjoy again a great season. The club has entered a new stage and we want to keep winning trophies and making you happy! Even though we couldn’t win the Supercup, I’m positive that this team has a lot to offer… My goal, as always, is to keep learning to become a better player.
Also, I have to mention la Liga, as I’m going to do in every post. It’s early days, teams are still building, but so far Villarreal has had a strong start. I still have many friends in la Liga and I wish them the best of luck, for example to Oriol, who this year in Valencia will show what a good player he is. I have already recommended him a few places to visit in the city ;-)
Lastly, as we use to do here, I think it’s a good idea to keep sharing tips about places in London or other cities… Your comments are amazing, we are building a great list full of restaurants, parks, museums, cinemas, theatres… Everything! Thank you for your feedback :-)

I’d like to tell you that, during my holidays, I visited a very special place: Jerusalem. It’s worth a visit to see how so many people from different cultures and religions live together. It’s a special city, full of history and spirituality.
A big hug to you and thank you so much for your messages on the social networks in the past weeks. To receive so much love from all of you is really moving! Thank you for being there ;-)
Happy to be back here!
Juan


No comments:

Post a Comment