Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Tottenham Lost Willian To Chelsea By A Phone Call Away

Willian joined Chelsea in a £30m deal. (©GettyImages)

Chelsea winger Willian has revealed how a phone call from his compatriot David Luiz is what helped convince him to turn his back on Tottenham Hotspur, in favour of completing a move to west London, reports the Daily Star.
The Brazil international put pen to paper on a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge in August, after signing from Russian giants Anzhi Makhachkala in a £30million deal.
However, Willian nearly ended up joining Andre Villas-Boas at White Hart Lane, after undergoing a medical with Spurs, only to make a complete u-turn at the final moment.
The opportunity to work under Jose Mourinho is what Willian describes as the main motivation behind his decision to join Chelsea, as well as a few wise words with international team-mate Luiz.
"It shook me, but I didn't think twice," Willian reflected on his transfer in an interview with Globo Esporte. "As both presidents (Suleyman Kerimov and Roman Abramovich) are friends, that helped too. It was a very easy negotiation.
"The Brazilians (at Chelsea) called me, especially David Luiz, who told me to come quickly. I was very happy to have them around and they will certainly help me a lot."
He added: "I wanted to play at Chelsea, even more so now with Jose Mourinho, who is the best at what he does.
"When I had a day off, I came to watch the club's games, so I am more than happy for having made this transfer become true."
Willian will be in line for his Chelsea debut when the Blues return to domestic action next weekend, when they travel to Goodison Park to take on Everton in the Premier League.

No comments:

Post a Comment