Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

I Almost Urinated On Myself Against Spain - Super Eagles Defender Azubuike Egwuekwe




I almost peed in my pants against Spain – Egwuekwe

Home-based Super Eagles defender, Azubuike Egwuekwe (MON), may have learnt from the mistakes of some ex-internationals that live or died in penury after squandering their fortunes. The Warri Wolves captain who remains grateful to Stephen Keshi for the rare opportunity of playing for Nigeria said the Super Eagles’ gaffer not only guides players in the national team how to play ‘but also guides us on how to invest our money’ for life after football.

In this interview with Weekend Soccer Star, Egwuekwe, revealed that he invested over 80% of the Nations Cup largesse on landed property. The towering defender who now cruises in 2007 model Infinity Jeep also spoke on a number of other issues including how he was jittery when he was about to be introduced in the match against World Champions, Spain at the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil, his national award of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON), millionaire status and how he has been coping with pressures from fun seeking ladies among others.

Impression on Nigeria/Ivory Coast CHAN qualifier

It was a good game despite the fact that we had some players that were playing for the first time in the national team.

Self assessment since debut in the national team
I’m really grateful to God because I would say that my confidence has been on the rise between the time I made my debut in the national team and now. I see myself as a better player now.

Playing against World Champion, Spain, at the Confederations Cup
When I was about to be introduced in the match against Spain at the FIFA Confederations Cup, I was a little jittery but I had to encourage myself as a player. I said to myself; I can do it! And the confidence just came. At the end of the game I was disappointed with the result because we lost the match despite playing so well but I was satisfied with my performance. I still give glory to God because He said that in all situations, we should give Him the glory.

Did you think Nigeria had a chance against Spain?
Actually, I did not think about losing to Spain before the match. I was very confident because we played against most of the Spanish players in the international friendly match against Catalonia before the Confederations Cup. I believe in miracle, the result could have been the other way round but we lost; that’s football. You could see that we created so many goal scoring chances but failed to convert them while Spain utilized their chances.

Possible Nigeria/Spain rematch at next year’s World Cup

I expect that before the World Cup in Brazil next year, I would have played more international friendly matches to gain more confidence. And if I have the opportunity to play against Spain again I believe that I would do better than I did at the Confederations Cup. Should we meet Spain again at the World Cup next year, it’s going to be difficult for them. Anything can happen, we can beat Spain.

National Award of MON
I’m happy over the national award of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) and I must confess that it came to me as a surprise. I give glory to God for every thing.

Millionaire status
(Laughs) I don’t understand what you mean by millionaire. But it’s okay. I’m happy. What is happening to me now is just like a dream and a big surprise to me. Sometimes I just look at myself and I would say, Lord, I thank you! Because I know that when you thank God for what He has done for you, He will do more.

Coping with pressure from women
Actually, it has not been an easy task dealing with pressure from ladies since I returned from the Nations Cup in South Africa. You know as a young man that is seen to be doing well, the girls have been flocking around me but I have cleverly avoided them so far. But as a guy, I do catch my fun sometimes. However, I still have my love relationship very much intact. I’m sticking to my girl friend.

Investment
I’m working under coaches’ guidance because they not only teach us on the field of play but also teach us how to manage our money. So i invested about 80% of the money I made from the Nations Cup in landed property. For instance, I have two buildings in Jos. I have almost completed a building in Warri. I also have other parcels of land here and there. At the moment, I drive Infinity Jeep, 2007 model. If God blesses me more, I may buy a better ride someday.

Foreign deal
Yes, I have offers from foreign clubs but I want to keep the offers to myself for now until any of the deals sails through.

Warri Wolves’ season so far

When I was away to the FIFA Confederations Cup, I was disturbed by the reports I was getting concerning my team’s performance in the league. But by the time I came back I saw that we’re up there. I’m impressed with our position at the end of the first stanza of the season. I’m sure that at the end of the season, we shall finish first or second. Right now I’m returning to Warri to join my teammates in the campaign for the league title.

No comments:

Post a Comment