Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

I Was Privileged To play With Okocha - Aiyegbeni



Aiyegbeni's reminiscence: I was privileged to play with Okocha

Former Super Eagles striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has enthused that featuring with his soccer legend, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, in the senior national team was a huge privilege, affirming that the erstwhile Eagles' dynamo was the best Nigerian player.

In this interview, the Guangzhou R&F of China forward reminisces on his failure to star in the South Africa 2010 FIFA World Cup encounter against South Korea  as well as his soccer career.

What was your experience in your first outing in Israel?
At that time, I was only 17 years old. I must admit that it was quite difficult. It was somehow crazy for a young guy like me to leave home to a battle front. Whenever I reflect on that move, I  can only say that I was lucky.

How would you describe Israeli league?
Football in Israel is fantastic. It is professionally run. Also, it’s much more professional than Nigerian league and at par with many European leagues. I happen to be in the best team in the land (Maccabi Haifa). The club was very interesting. We were like a family. The president, coaches and players played together and joked after trainings and matches. I had quite interesting life and work experiences. At times, I couldn’t really distinguish between work and leisure because of my young age. But I later matured.

You look so big now. Are you like this from the beginning of your career?
No, I didn’t just get big one day. It was a gradual thing. I just kept practising my muscle building. In Israel, while I was been chanced off balls at times, I just told myself that I must get bigger and a little stronger. But when I entered England, I had to work on my physique because I didn’t want to be easily brought down or dispose off ball easily.

Many fans call you buffalo in China and I am sure you have other pet names. Which is your favourite nickname?
In England, they often call me Jacques, which is a very common nickname. Some people call me Boxer. But the funniest of my nicknames is Globe. In any case, my favourite nickname is The Bull. Some media people also call me the name.

How would you describe your first experience in England?
My movement to Portsmouth was a huge step in my career. The team was still in the championship then and we were able to promote.  In EPL, strikers must strive hard to score. That was when my power excites me because it was an advantage for me to do well. I was in Portsmouth for a few years. Then I went to Middlesbrough. It was a worthwhile experience. At Everton, it was great. I also enjoyed myself at Blackburn Rovers. It was a marvellous experience. I also had it nice when I was in England and no regret to play there.

You missed a very clear chance at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. How did you feel?
Oh my God! I will never forget that moment. At that moment, I was ready to put the ball in the net, but missed scandalously. I thought the ball had gone in, but it didn’t. I didn’t understand how it happened.  In fact, I couldn’t believe it. I was just standing there laughing. I laughed at myself. If I had scored the goal, it would have taken Nigeria to the round of 16. Losing such a clear chance is what one must remember in a life time.

Nigeria has a lot of great players such as Okocha, Oliseh, Kanu among others. Who is the your number one?
Okocha is the best. No one is better than him. I was very fortunate to have played in the same team with him. He was an incredible player. We all saw his unique techniques and strength. He was also a good captain, always fighting for his teammates on and off the pitch. His communication with the coach was excellent. He was one of the greatest captains of our country.

You played in several famous stadiums in England. What were your experiences?
The Goodison Park, Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge are all great stadiums, but it felt particularly solemn to play at Goodison. While playing at Goodison Park, the atmosphere was charged and I had the feeling that we must beat every opponent there. Remembering Riverside Stadium (Middlesbrough home ground) would be emotional. That year, I was seriously injured and did not play, but the fans in the stands kept shouting my name and singing my praise even  though they were not on the pitch.  Fratton Park, I can only say is a fantastic stadium. There were sad memories at Ewood Park (Blackburn home). The fans’ songs touched me after the relegation.

What were the most annoying report about you in the media when you were  in England?
I’ve never had bad contents of my private gossip in the newspaper. I think I had a good relationship with the reporters. Sometimes when I played a bad game, some newspapers would simply write negative reports about me with sort of hatred, as if they would kill. They always want you to do well and win games. They never believe you should lose any game.

After games when you go out and get some fun, you have to be very careful because they always have a lens in front of you. As far as I know, most of the players consider this very annoying.

For nearly 10 years of your career in England, which  most dangerous defender did you face?
John Terry. He is really a very hard guy in defence. Rio Ferdinand is also good. Woodgate too. I played against him and also spent two years as teammates in Middlesbrough. He often knows the striker’s next action and what he is to do to stop him.

Who is your favourite coach at the club level?
Harry Redknapp. He always keeps joking with his players, even while at work. He would joke and suddenly change to work mood. He always tries to get a player with immense interest to work for him. David Moyes worked only at work and does not play.

Do you think Moyes will do well as Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor at Manchester United?
Sir Alex Ferguson is a big coach and achiever. As far as I am concerned, Moyes can manage any club in England. He has to control the strength of Manchester United squad. I congratulate him on his appointment.

When you score a goal, you celebrate with two hands crossed and then swing. What does that mean?
Steven Piennar initiated that celebration when I was in Everton. He called on us players from Africa to celebrate that way together whenever any of us scored a goal. The motive was to show concern to poor children in Africa through this gesture.

Which was your most memorable goal and game so far?
I have scored many memorable goals, but I will only talk about Some of them. I have scored twice in a game many times. They are all memorable goals and games. Against Fulham in 2007/2008, I scored two goals for Everton to win 2-0. I remember playing for Blackburn Rovers against Swansea and scored four goals as we won 4 - 2 in the 2011/2012 season. It is a game I will never forget. I think the best goal I scored was at Everton against Stoke City in the 2010/2011 season. It was a left footed shot and we won 1-0.

It has been observed that you like to laugh a lot. In what situation do you find laughing difficult?
Every time I walked into the stadium, my heart will go to the game and I would laugh. I do not know what will happen tomorrow. I enjoy my time. When things are not going well, there is no point laughing.

Guangzhou R&F is not doing well now. How do you feel?
Playing football is my job. I love scoring goals and always want to win, but the team is not winning now. Definitely, I am disappointed. We are lacking victory now, but the moment we get a victory, we will be on track. We will keep fighting till the victory comes.

Who are your best pals at Guangzhou R & F?
Ross Eaton is a good friend of mine, and we talk on variety of topics, from football to life. Tang Miao and Lu Lin too. I think both of them are very good.

Who among your teammates speak good English?
Zhang Yaokun speaks English very well.

What have you gained playing in China apart from the jumbo salary?
I have been experiencing different cultures here. This is very important to me. For me to play here is a challenge. I know it won’t be easy, but I am adapting gradually.

You have scored three goals in four game this season. What do you think is wrong with your team?
First, we have not been lucky. We created several chances that we were unable to convert. You know football game  can be determined  within a twinkle of an eye. I don’t want to evaluate the performances of individuals. Personal skills are good, but we can also be a little more united as a team to do the job. We have gotten a victory now and that will enhance our morale. We hope that everything will be fine.

Eagles won  the 2013 AFCON in South Africa and are now preparing for World Cup qualifiers and Confederations Cup.  Do you think they can live up to expectation?
Nigeria is a country blessed with a lot of talented footballers. I was Happy when we won the Nations Cup. The victory was long over due. The players should brace up for the challenges ahead because it is obvious that all the teams will come against Nigeria as Africa champions. I believe Eagles will make the 2014 World Cup and do well at the Confederations Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment